Shopping for grandma can be challenging according to writer Chloe Anello. “Grandmas can be picky,” she writes in her article for New York Magazine’s The Strategist. But Anello was up for the challenge. She interviewed her own Nana and nine other grandmas, including me!
This year the holidays are tricky due to travel restrictions from COVID. Anello even found some gifts that would be particularly great for those who aren’t able to see their grandmothers this season.
According to all ten grandmothers she spoke to, the next best thing to being with a grandchild is having a picture of that grandchild. Even though almost every inch of her Nana’s kitchen (including her fridge) is plastered with framed family photos, she told Anello she’d welcome more. Here are the top 12 gifts she included in her article.
- Framebridge Sonoma Custom-Framed Photo (from $39) – online framing services
- NIX 10.1” Wall Mountable HD Digital Photo Frame with Auto-Rotate and Motion Sensor ($90) – digital photo frame without cloud capability
- Shutterfly Script Glass Ornament ($15) – customized ornaments with a message
- The Vanishing Half ($24) – novels are always a winner and this title is being turned into a miniseries on HBO
- Welcome to … Your Perfect Home ($28) – one of the many board games you can play on Zoom or FaceTime
- Enchanted Forest: An Inky Quest & Coloring book, by Johanna Basford ($10) – a coloring book with cool sci-fi magical looking places
- Crayola Colored Pencils ($9) – over 50 different colors
- Apple Watch Series 5 ($399) – the watch is admittedly pricey, but you could split the cost with brothers or sisters or cousins
- NEST Fragrances Classic Candle ($32) – with hints of cloves, cinnamon, vanilla, amber, and mandarin orange
- UGG Leda Cozy Chenille Socks ($29) – the warmest, fuzziest socks you’ll find
- Wilton Metal Cookie Cutters – Classic Shapes ($5) – for the day when we can bake together again
- Williams Sonoma Classic Personalized Apron and oven mitt ($25) and ($12) – customize the apron and mitt for your grandma and get one to match for the grandchild
To read the full article, click on this link.